5 Human Entanglements that Christ Came To Deliver Us From
WHAT THEY DO
– They complicate life – Matt.23:4 “They tie up heavy loads and put them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them. (Mat 23:4 NIV)
– They violate God’s commandments – Mark 7:8,9 – Set aside commandments for traditions
– They fossilize spirituality – Col.2:23 – False customs that have no value for the spirit.
– They hinder change – old wineskins can’t hold new wine (Mat.9:17)
– They worsen the convert – (Mat.23:15)
1. Traditions (Mark 7:8,9) – Traditionalism
:::caste-desire for dignity, social honor (Pharisees Jn.5:44); “what would people think?” Not desiring to be “rejected of men” (Vs.Isa.53)/ “Denominationalism”
2. Mammon (Lk.16:13-15; 1Tim.6:10)
::: Achan…Gehazi…Judas Iscariot… Materialism
3. Flesh (2Pet.2:18-22) – Sensualism (Sensationalism)
Lust of flesh, works of flesh, passions of flesh…Gal.5:19-21
::: Their god is their belly – Phil.3:19; Rom.16:17,18; Jude 19; 1Cor.6:13
Action-packed, stimulating, entertaining…. carnal food.
4. Debased Mind (Rom.1:28-32; 2Thess.2:11,12)
:::Genesis 6:5-Imaginations so rotten… Rom.1:21,22-foolish hearts darkened.
Can’t think right anymore… Mat.7:6- Gospel is like pearls before swine for them.
5. Sin – One sin after another (Jn.8:34) – Prov.12:13
– David.. Bathsheba.. Uriah..; Ananias Saphira.. Lie after lie.. Gehazi..
Traditions– Love of God (The Golden Rule): (1Pet 1:18)
Mammon – Serve God (Sell all!)
Flesh – Crucify flesh/ Gal.5. Mortify deeds of body through Spirit
Mind – Tit 3:5 renewing of spirit. ROM 12, Phil 2
Sin – ROM.6. sin shall not reign in your mortal bodies